Gate Farm; 1920

In the 1700s and early 1800s Gate Farm and Arms Farm were two small unnamed farms, but were farmed together from about 1830. The farm was called Sutton Farm and the farmer in 1840 was John Lea. It was not until about 1880 that they were split up again, and the farm here became known as Gate Farm.

Gate Farm Barn, seen in the 1984 photos, is now a house.

The Toll House

To Gate Court; 2022

Gate Farm, Gate Court and Gate Cottage get their names from the fact that there was a Toll Gate to the west of the village during the 1800s, when the High Street was part of a Turnpike road from Bristol to Oxford. Throughout that time there was a small Toll House on the north side of the road. The house, in the field immediately west of 2-4 High Street (Box Cottages), was demolished in the 1880s when the Turnpike system ended.

The toll gate can be seen on the 1839 map as a line across the road between #45 (now Gate Cottage) and #46 (the Toll House).