The Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre (WSHC) has several documents, catalogued as WSHC 2816/155/80, which relate to the legal history of The Vintage Inn from the 1860s to 1926. These appear to show that the building subsequently known as The Vintage was being let to Joseph Hull in August 1866. The terms of his Last Will and Testament show that the property went to his daughter Frances Ann Hull in December 1875, and then to his sons Richard and Joseph Hull, when they ‘came of age’, to ‘carry on the trade or business of wine and spirit merchant’.
One of the ‘Wadworth’s documents’ in the WSHC shows the extent of the property leased by Joseph Hull in 1866. The numbers are the same as the Tithe numbers:
• 83 Nos 5/6 on the east of Seagry Road
• 161 Stanhill
• 82 House opposite Nos 5/6 Seagry Road, Hazelwood Farmhouse
• Pt 86 Land around Hazelwood Farmhouse, to the north and west
• 93 Buildings just off Seagry Road, to the north of Hazelwood Farmhouse
• 94 Large field west of Seagry Road and south of the Brook.

Following the death of Richard Hull, the property went first (in September 1919) to Dennis Cottrell. It then went (in September 1920) to Alfred Britton, Baker and Provision Merchant, and Florence Louise Bull, wife of Frank Bull of Sutton Benger, carrying on business as Baker and Provision Merchants, ‘under the style of Alfred Britton & Co’.
Alfred Britton was already ‘the Sutton Benger Baker’ in Park Lane; however, his involvement in the Seagry Road property was short-lived; the property was sold to George Grant Stevenson in February 1921; he then seems to have sold it back to Florence Louise Bull (wife of Frank Bull, Grocer), in July 1922, who possibly paid for it by taking a loan from F H Allen of Church Farm.

Despite the earlier reference to Frank Bull ‘of Sutton Benger’ and the later reference to him as a ’grocer’, there is no record of him in the 1911 Census or earlier. Nor is there any reference to him in any of the Kelly’s or Parish Magazines of the 1910s or 1920s. However, Kelly’s of 1923 does show that Mrs Florence Louise Bull was then the landlady of The Vintage Inn. But possibly not very successful; she seems to have had to take out several mortgages / loans over the years 1923-1926. The final document in this series is a draft sale agreement.
The documents seem to show that the building that is now ‘The Cedars’ and ‘La Flambé’ was sub-divided prior to the purchase by Wadworths, who presumably bought the property in 1926.
The plan of the building also shows that there was originally no car park between The Vintage and the field known as Church Piece - just a footpath leading to Barrett Lane and the fields east of the village.
